Thursday, July 22, 2010

Competency 9: Internet

Using Google and searching "reading motivation" I found the website www.readingrockets.org. The tag for this website is "teaching kids to read and helping those who struggle." I thought this would be an excellent site as it offers information for parents, teachers, and librarians in ways to work together and individual to get kids reading, and reading well.

When clicking on the "Librarians" link we are provided with "Top 12 Resources for Librarians." These are things that we can use to encourage and motivate our students to read. Some of the things on the list are videos of interviews with 80 popular authors such as Mo Willams who write the widely popular and loved Pigeon series. There are also themed book lists, author study kits and seasonal book activities that will be beneficial while lesson planning and setting up displays.

I chose this website because it is one that will be helpful for me now as a teacher, in my near future as a librarian as well as when I'm a parent. This is a useful guide that I will be sharing with collegues at the return of school in August.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Google. Defender of all things necessary. LOVES IT

    ReplyDelete