Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Competency 6: Browsing Search Strategy



To complete a browsing search I visited the LibLit database. Step one was to click on the "Thesaurus" tab up at the top of the page. I did a search for "school librarians." This search brought up a number of categories. I chose to explore "School Librarians (53)" as it seemed to be the most broad, yet most relevant category.








The search became difficult after this. I went through the first 100 results and found a large amount of good information that could be very useful at another moment in time. There were articles about starting a library program from scratch, articles about what the roles are of a school librarian, question and answer articles about situations that have come up in school libraries and great general information for a newcomer to the field. I made a mental note to remember this for when I get my first librarian job. I did not find any articles about motivating students to read though, which is my topic of interest. This is a great method to use if you are looking for general information on a topic, but it did not suit me well for my specific topic of interest. Here is an article that I did find interesting. It focuses on three different school librarians and the differences between the programs in their schools.


No comments:

Post a Comment