Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Competency 6: Building Block Search Strategy

To demonstrate this search strategy I first went to the ERIC database. In searching for articles on motivating students to read I broke my search down the following ways:

S1: motivate
S2: children OR youth OR students
S3: read






This search produced 316 results. I looked closely at the first ten results and all but two were relevant to the specific topic I was looking for.

I chose to look more closely at result number 3, "Reading Incentives that Work: No-Cost Strategies to Motivate Kids to Read and Love It!"





Overall, I feel this search did a very good job of locating information that was relevant to my topic. Even hits that appeared that I did not find useful were simply because they focused on students at a higher education level rather than in the younger grades. To narrow my search even more I could have added an S4: elementary OR primary.




No comments:

Post a Comment