Thursday, July 22, 2010

Competency 7: Image

I really struggled finding a good image for this post. While working with JSTOR for my last post, I noticed they had an image feature. I was impressed with the number of images that came up with the very specific search terms that I had to used to locate an article on reading motivation in elementary school libraries. Unfortunately, the images that came up were mostly copies of articles that really didn't have much to do with my topic. I decided to try Google Images, and found a lot of cartoons, motivational posters, and pictures of stacks upon stacks upon stacks of books. Then it dawned on me. One of the biggest ways to motivate a student to read to to somehow draw their attention to the books through a display. I did a search for school library displays and came up with a wealth of images. Here are some of my favorites:



Teachers from the school reading books available at the book fair.






Popular cartoon series advertising books about being called names to promote no name calling week.






Characters from TV's Hannah Montana showing off books about friendship.

Nancy Drew identifies the good mystery books.


A display of Twilight-esque books for those who can't get enough of the vampires and werewolves.



These are perhaps my favorite. Flags placed inside of books displayed on top of the short stacks to grabs a student's attention.



No comments:

Post a Comment